Tricky Sentences Quiz, can you get these right?
1. The old man the boat.
The difficulty in correctly parsing the sentence results from the fact that readers tend to interpret old as an adjective. Reading the, they expect a noun or an adjective to follow, and when they then read old followed by man they assume that the phrase the old man is to be interpreted as determiner – adjective – noun.
- Garden-path sentences – Wikipedia
- How to create garden-path sentences
- Misinterpretations of Garden-path sentences
Latest posts by Being a Polymath (see all)
- 18 Amazing Words With No English Equivalent (Infographic) - December 15, 2017
- 7 practical economics lessons everyone must know - May 31, 2017
- Tricky Sentences Quiz, can you get these right? - May 30, 2017